Archives staff has scanned and linked more maps to their online catalog records. View them online by clicking the links below, then click “Link to Electronic Resource” to view the image.
This month we’ll highlight our State Historical Marker program by featuring markers that are associated with the month of October from around the state. The photographs of the markers are by Gerald Johnston, who in an amazing feat, photographed most of the historical markers in Mississippi. Used with permission.
There are several more markers around Corinth that highlight the battle–this one paints a vivid picture of the attack on Battery Powell. You can almost imagine the Confederate troops capturing the battery. What kind of Union attack brought it back to their control? Sounds like a good story for another marker!
Historical markers commemorate historic events, places, and people from Mississippi history. Over 800 have been placed at sites throughout Mississippi. For more information about historical markers and sponsor application forms, visit the State Historical Marker webpage. Special thanks to William Thompson, coordinator of the marker program, for compiling the October markers.
During the Civil War, the town of Corinth (Alcorn County) occupied a strategic position at the junction of two railroad lines, and in the fall of 1862, Union forces under General William Rosecrans were constructing earthworks to defend Corinth against a Confederate attack. General Earl Van Dorn commanded the Confederate forces that marched on Corinth in late September. Their bravery was not enough to match Rosecrans’ reinforcements, and the attack failed. The Battle of Corinth lasted two days and claimed over 900 lives and many more wounded.
This monument commemorates Colonel William Rogers, who led the Confederate charge on the Union Battery Robinett and was killed in action.
These images are from the Cooper Postcard Collection, which is comprised of approximately 4,600 postcards depicting scenes from around the state from 1892 through the 1940s. It focuses on the theme of Mississippiana, featuring scenes of small towns, mineral springs, agricultural and forestry activities, and railroads. It can be viewed in its entirety in the Digital Archives, along with other collections that have been scanned and made available online.
Source: Michael B. Ballard, Civil War Mississippi: A Guide (Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 2000), 11-34.
Two new online photograph exhibits have gone up recently in the MDAH Digital Archives:
Vicksburg National Military Park Photographs– documents the beginnings of the Civil War park from 1899-1923. Click on the link to go to the collection. Read a detailed description of the collection here.
Clifford G. Worsham Photograph Album- documents construction projects at Tishomingo State Park from 1939-40. Click on the link to go to the collection. Read a detailed description of the collection here.
The photograph is from the Vicksburg National Military Park collection. The caption written by its previous owner is “Iowa Dedication” “W. Calhoun Orating.”
Browse all online exhibits in the Digital Archives.
The Coker House, near Edwards (Hinds County), was restored by MDAH in 2008-09. These images show the structure prior to restoration and the final result after completion of the project. Located on the Champion Hill Civil War battlefield, the Coker House sustained fire from Federal and Confederate artillery and served as a field hospital during the battle on May 16, 1863.
The house was built in 1852 by the Coker family in the vernacular Greek Revival style popular at the time. The restoration incorporated as many of the original materials as possible, however as you can see from these images, the house was extremely deteriorated and many parts of it could not be saved.
New interpretive signs, which will be installed at the site later this year, detail the history of the Coker House and tell the story of the Battle of Champion Hill, placing it within the larger context of the Vicksburg Campaign.
The Coker House is located about 3 miles east of Edwards on Highway 467 in front of the Cal-Maine Foods plant. Visitors are welcome from sunup to sundown. There is no charge. For more information, call 601-446-6502 or email the Historic Properties division.
Interior images coming next…